Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Fruits of the Mouth, Feeding the Soul.




There's nothing quite like language to speak to the soul. No sarcasm intended...

I mean don't get me wrong, there are all kinds of way my soul finds comfort. Oh how I love the warmth of a hot tea/chocolate on a cold day that warms me to my core with every sip! I love a beautiful sunset on the horizon that gives the earth a warm, cozy light right before bed! I absolutely love it when I have found a painting or photograph that evokes emotion that sends chills over my body, or simply draws my eye into it so cleverly that I am captivated by it! Whatever it is, there is beauty all around that ignites passion within our beings but there just isn't anything quite like language...

Like a good book, maybe by Jane Austen, that has this gorgeous language that makes you wish you were British. Or an article you read that has sparked intrigue just within the first sentence. Or an old hymn that  brings you to tears while simultaneously healing. It's within movies, songs, everyday dialog- the sweet spoken words that bring joy.

 


For me, it never fails when I have a good conversation with a friend I always walk away feeling passionate. Whether it's for change or just brotherly love, it doesn't matter it stirs something in me. It is a stirring my soul longs for. It can be found in a good blog filled with truth and vulnerability written so eloquently. I immediately feel a soul connection to that person even if I have never met them. It cannot be helped, language draws in and bonds. They say actions speak louder than words, however words give off a volume all their own. They have power! Power to motivate, to ignite creativity, to inspire, to encourage, to give life!

I've decided the one constant factor in every life giving communication- song, literature, conversations, art, sign language, all of it- is the precious, rare exchanging of hearts! In a culture like ours, going morally bankrupt, where everyone values privacy due to the mass exposure we experience everyday- it's so rare to be given someone's exposed heart. The one and only soul of a person, intricately knit by the Almighty, it's more precious than Gold! What makes this exchange so precious? It's the fulfillment of one of our core desires- to know and be known! It's what we are all looking for right? Intimacy with another?

 Oh but how quickly I can be to forget and fail to realize. I forget the intimacy in the GIVING and RECEIVING of a heart. I fail to realize that in the stock market of life there is a vast shortage in the exchanging of souls. I forget the value in lifting that soul up and if I am not careful I fail to seek the value in another. I forget the language I use, day in and day out, verbal and non, is the tool I've been given to reflect light and life....it is a delicate tool, too.

"Wise words are like deep waters;
    wisdom flows from the wise like a bubbling brook."

"The mouths of fools are their ruin;
    they trap themselves with their lips."

 "Words satisfy the mind as much as fruit does the stomach; good talk is as gratifying as a good harvest."

 "Words kill, words give life;
    they’re either poison or fruit—you choose."
                                                       -proverbs 18


But I don't want to forget! I want to always remember that I am to be the hands and feet that bring the good news. That I want the meditation of my heart to be acceptable. I  always want to be a safe place for hearts to find rest because of the great kindness and love of the most high King! I want my language to be nothing more than the arrow that points back to our rock, our  salvation, and our redeemer! My hope is I never choose to feed people poison. But my abilities are weak and fainting, so my prayer is this..
.


  Jesus, be the discernment I need to know when to speak and when to listen. Always remind me of the intimacy in giving and receiving hearts and to find sacredness in every soul I come in contact with. Let your gentleness be the symbol I wear, let your purity be my adornment, and your love be the song on my lips. Keep my tongue from evil and my lips from speaking lies. Give me clean hands to carry the gospel and put righteousness on my feet to go to the broken and weary. You be the fruits of my mouth and keep the worldliness inside me and around me from speaking poison. For the sake of your people and for your glory, protect my heart from being a vessel of death, but instead make me an ambassador of light. Your name is higher than the rising sun, and I pray the world see your light and is forever changed by it just as YOU said!

No comments:

Post a Comment