Friday, April 27, 2012

Thought finished....Thank GOD! (part 2)

I want more- A LOT!

It never fails, I get into these sweet, intimate, moment by moment places with the Lord and I want more...

more than my daily manna...
I have been blessed to be in the company of some of the most AMAZING people, who continue to remind me of truth. God has given me my portion; he has promised to not give me more than I can take and He has promised to give me no less than He wants for me. I know every single day is designed that I may know God in a deeper, more profound, and intimate way than the day before...whether I am in the desert or not.
                                              But in these moments, I want more.....

I want to know about my future.....what tomorrow holds? Why I need to wait for guidance? I want to hoard todays manna for tomorrow.

(provided by google)


Right now, I'm in a circumstance that makes everyday an unknown. Every day I have no clue what I'm going to do about tomorrow...it is probably, singlehandedly, the most chaotic my life has been maybe ever but definately in the last 3 years. sometimes I don't know where I am sleeping tomorrow, and THIS is without doubt (most days) where he has me...
(provided by google)



It's not that serious for me....I have great friends. And community. But you get the point....ughhh I'm off track now.
Ok, so as I was saying, I am in a place of life that looks really different from a lot of people I'm around, but the heart condition is the same for us all....



Numbers 11:1-6
 Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp.  When the people cried out to Moses, he prayed to the LORD and the fire died down.  So that place was called Taberah, because fire from the LORD had burned among them. The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, “If only we had meat to eat!  We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!”

2 Corinthians 12:8-10 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong...



I hate, HATE being weak...
            See, my mouth is dry and I want something savory, I want more than just my manna for the day...these people were in the desert, with nothing and every single day without fail they walked out to this mystery food (that supposedly didnt even taste that bad) on the ground just waiting for them-providing for them eveyday and they had 2 responses...

  1. At first they wanted to hoard it for the next day, even though God commanded them to take just what they needed and promised everyday it would be there...but they would take more than they needed and try to store it, but it would go bad the next morning, and then there would be more on the ground.
  2. After a while, they didnt want it anymore so they complained "give me more God" despite the miracle they experienced every day.

You know what our problem is as humans?

we are sinful.
I am sinful.

which means when something as miraculous as manna comes along our sin manifests itself in..
selfishness
greed
complaint

And when a promise from God comes our way our sin manifests itself in...
doubt
fear
self-righteousness

When the faithfulness of the Lord comes at me like a ton of bricks, my sinfulness manifests itself in...
fear
 Anxiety
doubt
ungratefulness
Self Sufficiency
Arrogance and PRIDE

And I want MORE...
I want a surplus of faithfulness, I want a surplus of security, I want a surplus of knowledge.



Nevermind I have been given more of him already....
In the past two weeks alone I have been extremely blessed with faithfulness,
The Lord has done what he promised....
He has not left me
He has provided my every need
He has continued to open doors
He is deepening my faith reserviour
He has placed me in a community of believers that LOVE ME
he has graciously called me to be faithful
and he is softening me
He has proven himself GOOD and TRUSTWORTHY


YET...

I still want more! But more what?

I have been given everything I need, and lots of things I want, so when I say I want more- more knowledge and understand, more things, more security, more purpose....just more-- what is it that I think MORE is going to give me?


By process of elemination...let's work it out.

If I have more stuff= more security/significance
If I have more knowledge/understanding= more security/purpose
If I have more status, better job, my name is famous= more purpose/significance

Ok, so there is that...I want more security, purpose, and significance. I know this lie ALL. TOO. WELL. I know those things come only in an abiding relationship with the Lord, so to WANT MORE of these indicates there is another problem outside of Just finding them in false places.

So, I'll Break it down some more...

More significance, More purpose, More Security= ? (in my mind)

What more could I possibly gain than significance, purpose, security? Those things alone shape my identity, sooooo...more what?

More LIFE!

ahhhhhhh, there it is! MORE LIFE.

More life= the indication in my heart that there is MORE life to gain (this is important)

More life= The one thing that everyone pleads for more of...the reason disaster is SO devistating is because we have this never ceasing desire for More life and fear it will be cut short.

More life, and where is it found?

This is not a new question to humans/society at ALL....

For centuries man has asked the question,

"What is the SECRET to life?"


As believers, we know Life is found in Christ alone- his death and resurrection. But even for us, this isn't enough. (If it were I wouldnt want more...the four letter word that leads to destruction in my heart.) We still will beg, plead, and bargain with the Lord for more...we still place false hope on Earth for it...we still doubt that what we have is enough, and not just enough but that it is GOOD.

SO, what is the secret? and Where is it found?

Welp...

We maybe doubtful, but we aren't dumb...we know it is found in Christ- just what does that look like?

Scripture, here we come...
This is the example Jesus himself set.

1 corinthians 11:23-25 "For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself. On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and said, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me.” In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people, an agreement confirmed with my blood. Do this to remember me as often as you drink it.”

We know from scripture and our own communions that the Bread and the Cup are symbolic of his death, SO Jesus, hours before he was going to be betrayed thanked GOD that he was about to be slaudered for our salvation, so we could have MORE.

hmmm....

1 corinthians 10:16 Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?






I see the word Thanks coming up alot....
Like in the way we are commanded to live...


Psalm 100: 3-4
Acknowledge that the Lord is God!
He made us, and we are his.
    We are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
go into his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him and praise his name.



Ephesians 5:20 And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ

Colosians 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

The way we are told to deal with hard stuff...

philipians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

1 theselonians 5:8 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 4:4-5 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

IS life really that simple? Really? Could it be possible the answer to every question, the solution to every problem, the ends to every desire we are given, the rest to be found in this chaotic world possibly all lie in thanksgiving?

COULD there be a slight chance the answer to life lie in giving thanks? After all, life is the MORE we want.

ANN VOSKAMP thinks so...

"Thanksgiving, (Eucharisteo-in greek) giving thanks in EVERYTHING, is what prepares the way for salvation's WHOLE restoration. Our salvation in Christ is real, yet the completeness of that salvationis not fully realized in a life until the life realizes the need to give thanks- in EVERYTHING"

So we know Life is found in Christ, but we have still are lacking in Life and is it that the "lacking" is a lack of thanks? And our salvation? Is it really not full until complete thanks is given? It's a thought that seems so simple yet my heart wants to reject it- the idea my salvation is real but "lacking" because I am not thankful enough.

It makes sense....

I think about it in the context of my own heart- I don't want that to be true because that means I have to give thanks Always, when I don't want to, when I don't like what is in front of me, when what I'm supposed to be thanking someone else for- I think I own it or I deserve it.

Complete and utter thanksgiving is the acknowledgement that all things, people, circumstances (etc) in my life, I have no control over or entitlement too...EVERYTHING is given to me, therefore Everything, a gift.

Honest thanksgiving is total humility- it is dying fully to ones rights, it is being aware that I am unable to help myself. Saying thank you with a grateful heart means I come second. It means I acknowledge and accept that I am/have nothing of my own effort.

Thanksgiving before the Lord is complete submission, NOT compliance.

Eucharisteo!

Meaning, Salvation without thanksgiving is nothing more than accepting a gift then putting it away, and never using it....never knowing what it is or its purpose. Without thanks, salvation is nothing more than fire insurance- a "get out of hell" free card....

....It's like receiving clemency and then hulling up in a hole somewhere until you DIE-- instead of leaving the Court room screaming and shouting, rejoicing because you are now free to live a New Life!

Eucharisteo!

In being thankful for what I do have, and acknowledging it is by God alone I have it and I can do nothing to GAIN more, I am free from the WANT for MORE!
                  (^^  see, there is that Gain rearing its ugly head)
In being thankful for the hard things in life, I find Joy (chara- in greek) in the here and NOW! I am free from wanting out and free to live in present JOY, not just hope for future Joy.

In being thankful for my SALVATION, I have no desire to want MORE LIFE because I have come to the deep and inpenetrable understanding that MORE life is FOOLISH, Because I have been given more life and HOPE for a new home

So when life throws us DEVISTATION or DISASTER or DESTRUCTION or simply MORE UGLY....in thanksgiving, we CONQUER!!!!!!!!






JOY is in thanksgiving!
LOVE is in thanksgiving!
HOPE is in thanksgiving!
HUMILITY is in thanksgiving!
REJOICING is in thanksgiving!
PRAISE is in thanksgiving!
GRACE lies in thankfulness
freedom from more is in thanksgiving!
MIRACLES HAPPEN when thanks is given!




Hearts are changed in THANKSGIVING!





LIFE IS IN THANKSGIVING!!!!






Eucharisteo!




1 comment:

  1. PS if you are interested I got alot of my inspiration for this from ANN VOSKAMP- 1,000 gifts! read it!

    ReplyDelete